The most awesome rug ever

At the gift show, I did see something that impressed me. The price tag was just a little too high, and I could make it for myself. Just so you know, the price of this beauty was just  under $1,000. The original rug - Nona Pepe's Rug - sold for 3500 British Pounds. That's a lot of money. The designer's name is Natalia Pepe, and I believe it was in her 2008 or 2009 collection.

The rug is on a wool felt base and has at least a million gazillion crocheted flowers attached to it. I love it. I want it. So I must make it. So, in trying to figure out how many little flowers I have to make, I did a few calculations. A four foot circle has about 12.5 square feet. Let's say the flowers are a little over 2 inches in diameter, which would mean I need 36 flowers per square foot. Or 450 for the whole rug. That's a lot of flowers.If I made 10 per day, the flowers would be done in just over 6 weeks. Yeah, but we all know I have knitting and crocheting ADD. However, I am undaunted, and plan to start collecting yarns that I think would look pretty together.

I wonder how much I need. Now, let's see...if a flower takes 10 yards and a skein has 100 yards, that means...I'm spending way too much time obsessing about this rug. I ought to get crocheting it. Now!

Comments

Popular Posts