Free Pattern Phursday - Fourteen

Better late than never, I suppose. My excuse is that I got some truly amazing news that I have to keep secret for 60 days(!) and Mr Knits and I got a little - shall I say - distracted. Then, to my horror I realized it was Thursday and I hadn't posted the week's pattern.

This is a nice neckwarmer that is simple to make for even a beginner knitter. Any worsted weight yarn will work, but ribbon or tape yarns make for a very interesting texture. I have knit this in a smooth shiny silk, and it looks awesome too.


This quick to knit project has an easily memorized stitch pattern, uses almost every inch of the 2 skeins of yarn, and it can easily be completed in one rainy weekend at the cottage.

You know, neckwarmers are quick to knit, fun to wear and are a great way to use some fabulous yarn that would be cost prohibitive in a larger project. However, every time I knit one, I think of those girls in high school who wore chiffon scarves around their necks to hide those nasty marks left by their amorous boyfriends. And you know the scarves always slipped to expose the bright red blotches. I wonder if that was accidental or a case of showing off their trophies. 

Getting back to this neckwarmer, I hope you enjoy it. I'd love to see some photos of completed projects too. send them to my and I'll post them here.


Materials: 

Sample used
2 skeins Lang Moon – 100% merino tape yarn
3 buttons
4.5mm knitting needles
Sewing thread and needle to match

Pattern stitch (multiple of 4 stitches plus 1) This is why the pattern is easy, peasy!
Every row: (K2, P2) repeat to last stitch, k1

Method:
Loosely cast on 45 stitches. Working in pattern stitch, knit until piece is about 18” long. On next row, continue working in pattern while making three buttonholes: (k2, p2) 2 times, k2, yo, k2tog, (k2, p2) 2 times, k2, yo, k2tog, (k2, p2) 2 times, k2, yo, k2tog, (k2, p2) 2 times, k1.

Work another 4 rows in pattern stitch and then cast off  loosely in pattern. Sew on buttons to correspond with the button holes.  Weave in ends.

Note: Lang Moon is a tape yarn, and presents a challenge when weaving in ends. To simplify this, join the two ends by overlapping them and then sew them together with one strand of matching  sewing or embroidery thread.  To secure the cast on and cast off ends, weave the ends in and then secure them with a few stitches with the sewing thread.

Abbreviations:
K
Knit
P
Purl
K2tog
Knit two stitches together
YO
Bring yarn forward to front of work






This pattern is Copyright © Log Cabin Yarns 2011, all rights reserved.
You may make a copy of this pattern for your personal use only providing this copyright notice remains intact.
Distribution by any means is not allowed without express written permission of the copyright owner.
Should you decide to ignore this copyright notice, perhaps you may not get caught, but you will most certainly anger the knitting gods and it is likely you will never achieve proper tension or ever find good yarn on sale again.

 Just so you know.

For more copyright information, visit
http://yarnaholic.wordpress.com/the-copyright-faq-for-knitters/




Comments

Unknown said…
yu almost forget what you're commenting on when you use dial-up. Oh yeah. those red marks-did they have something to do with hunger of vampires? or boring movie at the drive in? Way more fun.
Now I love knitting.

Popular Posts