I've got a secret

Have you ever done something and you know you shouldn't tell anyone, but you just can't help yourself from spilling the beans? Well I do. I'm going to share a little misadventure of mine that includes my husband's cell phone, the snow, a paved driveway, a pocket and a washing machine. Right off, I will tell you it's a good thing Mr Knits does not read my blog, or I might be in big trouble.

Actually we could call this a product endorsement. Nokia 2720 cell phones must be made of steel, or kryponite or kevlar or something like that.


This story starts back in November. I guess one might say it was all Mr Knits fault as he left my cell phone at his son's house and I wouldn't have had to use his phone. I'm going to go with that.

So back to that night in November. There was a little bit of wet snow on the parking lot at work when I returned from one of my trips to the US. I got out of the truck and SMASH, his cell phone hit the pavement and blew apart into three pieces - the battery, the back and the main phone part. I tried to put them back together, but they were a bit wet, so I shoved them in my sweater pocket. And forgot about them. Two days later I did some laundry. That sweater went into the washer. The washer did make some strange banging noises, and I figured it was just the buttons on the sweater and the jeans. Nope. It was the cell phone. I freaked! Quietly, but I still freaked. Mr Knits had just bought that phone just a week before.

I rummaged through the wet clothes and could only find the battery and the main part. The back was nowhere  to be found. I hid the two pieces in our "cell phone" drawer and there they lay for a week. I suppose I should explain that up here, north of 7, we don't have much cell phone coverage, so we don't use the cell phones unless we go into town - that is south of seven. One afternoon I wondered if the phone worked. I put the battery in, but it was deader than the proverbial door nail. Curious, I plugged the phone into the charger and left it overnight (carefully hidden behind the coffee maker where prying eyes would not find it.) To my amazement, the darned thing powered up, and worked. The screen had a weird fernlike pattern on it that wasn't there before, but it worked. Sort of. You could hear conversations fine on it, but people you called couldn't hear you. I did admit to Mr Knits I must have lost the back, and told him the first part of the story - dropping it on the parking lot at work. Everything but the washing machine thing. He decided I had broken something when I dropped. it.

Around Christmas time, the washing was draining slowly - a problem with our front loader we can fix ourselves. He took off the front of the washer, and began to clear out the filter. And there was the missing back. Really.

He put the back on the phone. The next time he used it, it worked perfectly. - I could hear him and he could hear me. The fernlike pattern has disappeared. He still doesn't know what happened. And he won't unless one of you tell him! I will deny the whole story and say my blog was hacked.

Please understand I don't recommend machine washing cell phones. Don't even hand wash them, okay? That being said, if you do have a propensity (as I do) for putting things into the washer that shouldn't go in there - get yourself a Nokia 2720. You'll be glad you did.

Comments

Popular Posts