Big plans

Yesterday, I mentioned Lynn and I took advantage of some retail therapy. In addition to exploring the benefits of BB Cream, we went to Fabricland. What wonderful things we found there!

But  I must back up to give you the whole story....in December, I found a Tromsnes day bed on Kijiji complete with mattress and slats for $100. I had been scouring kijiji.ca and craigslist.ca for this model daybed for months, and here it was - located close by in West Hill - something that never happens to me. I usually have to drive for hours to get something off kijiji. I emailed the seller, and got a response the next day that the daybed was still available! I couldn't get in my trusty little Kia Soul fast enough.

It was a harrowing drive on the highway, as we had had a significant snowfall overnight - there were 4 vehicles in the ditch on my side of the highway waiting for assistance, and a transport truck was flipped on its side closing all lanes of the highway (fortunately for me, it was going the other way). I arrived safely, and just a few minutes late. The daybed was in amazing condition - if I put something together from Ikea, I usually have it all scratched up before I'm done getting it out of the boxes. This bed and mattress looked like it had never been used. Anyway, after a wee bit of finagling, we managed to get it all the pieces in my little car, including the mattress. Thankfully, driving home was easy as the highway had been cleared of all the snow and accidents. After three trips up and down 2 flights of stairs, I got it all into my apartment. I felt so chuffed that I was able to do it by myself.

This is the stock photo of the daybed from Ikea. I've had this one and the Pottery Barn one on my TBP Pinterest board for some time now.
And this is what I want it to look like after I sew up the cover. This is from Pottery Barn.


The Pottery Barn cover set costs a mere $500 plus shipping, once you get all the components - and that doesn't include the bed frame or mattress.

So, back to the shopping story....I'm going to be able to replicate the Pottery Barn look with the fabric and trim from Fabricland for less than $30. I chose a fabric that is similar to ultra suede in a lovely aqua colour, and some cording to match. You gotta love good old Fabricland and their sale bins. (Fabricland is similar to Hancock Fabrics in the US).


I've been drawing cutting layouts to best use the precious 5.5 metres of fabric I purchased. There may be 1.5 metres left over once the skirt and mattress cover are cut out. I must be careful to measure twice (or three times) and cut once. I bought the entire bolt - and they had no more. To top it all off, the print at the top is a ready made valance and I only paid $5 for it! The aqua ribbon matches the fabric perfectly, and the tan shades are a great match for the wall paint.

Of course, as soon as the camera comes out, so do the cats.  I really think the word camera is really spelt catmera with the t being silent. Here's Ella inspecting my purchases (I didn't correct the colour in this one so the fabric is really not that blue)

Whatcha doin?

I got more shots with Ella's head and butt in them than I did without. No sooner did I put her on the floor, focus the shot - and there she was in it again! I know cutting out the fabric is going to be somewhat of a challenge too. I have two kitties who need to inspect all goings on.

Wish me luck!

Comments

dresda said…
Which kitties do you have? Is the lovely Purrrl with you?

Popular Posts