Casting off and new beginnings

Well, it's been a while since I last blogged and so much has changed. If you've been in the shop recently, you'll already know that I'm not there. Yes, the shop is still open and Mr Knits is doing his very best to help. If a customer has a question or special request, I am just a phone call or text message away.

In less than a year, my whole world was turned on its side, so to speak. And, things that were so important just weren't anymore. Two very close family members had brushes with death, and being so far away from them is what prompted the introspection and change. I am now living in a small town just outside of Toronto, rebuilding and re-evaluating my life.

But I am knitting. One of my good friends came to stay overnight this weekend, and we had so much fun. Of course, retail therapy was a major source of fun, but we both spent a good amount of time knitting. This is a cosy, slouchy hat that I designed while she was here.


It's a really simple, quick knit. My pattern note are:
Gauge is 17 stitches, and 22 rows to 4 inches.
Yarn is a soft, fluffy and sadly discontinued alpaca wool blend - somewhere between worsted and aran or a CYCA #4. I used almost every inch of 200 yards.
Stitch pattern:
Rows 1, 3, 7: knit 1 (knit 2, purl 2, knit 6, purl 2) 5 times, knit 2, bring yarn forward, slip 1
rows 2, 4, 6, 8: knit 1 (purl 2, knit 2, purl 6, knit2) 5 times, purl 3
Row 5:  knit 1 (knit 2, cable 3 front, purl 2) 5 times, knit 2, bring yarn forward, slip 1
Notes
Cable 3 front: slip 3 stitches onto cable needle and move them to the front of the work, knit next three stitches, then knit the stitches from the cable needle.

Provisional Cast On: I used Judy's Magic Cast on (JMCO) - I find it the easiest and quickest. You can use any provisional cast you like, but my notes will refer to JMCO instructions.

Three needle bind off:   Step 1: Place the two needles together with the right sides together. Step 2: With a third needle, knit one stitch through the next stitch on both needles at the same time. Step 3: Repeat step 2, so you will have two stitches on the right hand needle, then pull the first stitch over the second stitch as you would do for a standard bind off. Repeat across the row until all the stitches are bound off.

Size: I have a really small head - just ask Joan and Linda! - and at 21" this hat is comfy, but the tiniest bit loose. It would fit a medium head perfectly. To make the hat longer, simply cast on an additional 12 stitches so you would be working on 76 stitches. It would be fabulously slouchy! 

Method
Using a 32" circular needle in the size to achieve gauge, cast on 128 stitches using JMCO (64 stitches on each needle). If using another method of provisional cast on, cast on 64 stitches onto one needle. The hat is worked on 64 stitches. Leave the second set of 64 stitches resting on the cable, or you can place them on a stitch holder or second circular needle if you like. I just leave them and work back and forth on the "live" stitches.

Work back and forth on one set of stitches, in pattern for approximately 21 inches for a small/medium hat, ending on row 8. For a larger hat, work one more pattern repeat  (8 rows). Bind off using three needle bind off described above.

There are two edges - one with the slipped stitch, and one with the three knit stitches. The slipped stitch edge forms the top of the hat. Lay the hat flat and with the wrong side facing and mark the two sides with a pin or safety pin. Now, fold the hat again so the two pins meet in the centre and mark the two outer sides. You will have 4 pins total. Now, bring the two outer pins in to meet the two centre pins. You should have four little flaps which you can see in the photo. Whip stitch across each of these flaps.  Weave in the yarns ends, turn the hat right side out, pop the hat on your head and wear it proudly.

Thank you everyone for bearing with me in my absence. I have a gazillion kind comments to go through and publish.

Next up - I'm taking on toe up sock construction by storm. I just have to take some photos for illustration purposes.

Take care, and knit on!

Comments

Lynne said…
I hope everything is okay, Nancy! *hug* I miss you a lot! Take care, and you know where to find me if you ever want to talk.

Popular Posts