Actual Knitting Content

Believe it or not, I do knit sometimes. And, even less often, I finish something. So it is with pleasure I am showing you a summer scarf I whipped up over the past couple of days. It is knit in a discontinued ribbon yarn - Sari by SRK, but there are many current substitutes available. I used 2 skeins or 190 metres of it.


The scarf measures approximately 80 inches long, not including the fringe. It is knit on two different sized needles - 6 mm and 15 mm.



With a little help from my friend, Dizzybat, I added beads to the fringes. I love the beads!

close up of the stitch pattern
Now, here's the "pattern". Before beginning work, wind off and reserve about 10 metres of yarn for the fringe. Cast on 25 stitches with the smaller needles. Knit 3 rows garter stitch. *Switch to large needle and knit one row. Switch back to the smaller needles and knit 2 rows.* Repeat from * to * until about 2 metres of yarn is left. With smaller needles knit 3 rows. bind off.

To make the fringe, I wound the yarn around a small box that was 4 inches by 4 inches by 1 inch. Then I snipped the yarn all the way through at one end of the box - this makes about a 10 inch strand. Hook the fringe into every other stitch at the cast on and bind off edges. I then threaded (I mean Dizzybat and I threaded) about 5 beads onto the fringes. I was a bit excited to show you the finished product, so you might notice that not all the fringes have their beads, but I'm sure you get the idea.

There are several colours of Sari still available in the shop. I will be putting some of them up in kits with one large needle and a properly written pattern.

Comments

Popular Posts