Nettie's back

Yes, little Nettie McNetbook was in the hospital for a few weeks, but she's all fixed up. For a while I was calling her Nettie McBroken, now she's Nettie McFixed. Had to have a couple of transplants (motherboards, led panel and graphics board!), but she's just like new! I missed her so much!


I have to thank James at MSI Computers for making her all better! It seems that dropping a netbook isn't a really good idea.

Now, let me tell you a little bit about this netbook. About a year I bought it as a refurbished unit from XS Cargo. The price was good and this model got particularly brilliant reviews. I used her more and more, and used my laptop less and less. So, when she fell off my desk one day in January, and then took a repeat tumble in February I was relieved she still worked.

However, I had begun having problems transferring photos via the SD cards. Then one day in early March, I was recharging her and there it was - that terrible burning smell of electronic death. I quickly unplugged her, removed the battery**  and quietly freaked out. First - I hadn't backed up my files in forever! In my former life, I was a computer repair centre manager/repair tech. You'd think I would at least practice what I preached.

And secondly, what would I do without her? I turned her on, and the display wasn't working, but she did still work on an external monitor. And that's how I used her for over a month, but it just wasn't the same. I couldn't take her home with me at night. I couldn't surf in bed at 2 in the morning when I couldn't sleep. Life wasn't fun anymore. So I decided  to take the plunge and get her fixed.

People (including Mr Knits) thought I should just buy a new netbook, and I would have if the hospital bill was too high. I love buying the newest electronic thingy out there. That's why I have 4 cell phones (2 Canadian, 2 US), 4 computers, 1 iPad - and I use them all! You should see me sometimes looking for a particular file - I never know which computer I saved it on. When that happens, I'll line up all my portable devices up on the desk where the desktop computer is and start searching. It looks like the BHU computer room setup that Penelope Garcia uses on Criminal Minds, right down to the pink feather. (By the way, don't you think she and Derek Morgan should totally hook up?)




All I'd need to do it dye my hair blonde and I'd look just like her.

Yes, I do know I could save all my files to a thumb drive. I also could save them to an external hard drive. I have both of those devices too.

But where's the fun in that?

** By the way, if you ever spill liquid on a portable electronic device, remove the battery as soon as possible and turn the device over so the liquid drains away from the electronic boards inside. You might just save its life.

Comments

Popular Posts