Tinkletorium Times, vol. 1, issue 2

Remember I said there were a few tiny glitches with the bathrooom reno? One of them was the shower unit was too large to come into the building. The size was marked on the architects drawings, but I read 3'0" as 30", and approved the plans without changes.


Ya, that didn't work out so well. The shower unit came, and we sent it back as being too large, then found out we couldn't send it back as it was custom made for us. So it was redelivered this morning (at 4:50am!) along with the water heater and some other plumbery type things.

Now we have to take the front door of the music shop out, as well as the first stud to get the danged thing in. This is in progress as I write.


 Second glitch was I thought I could get an electric tankless water heater. Turns out they don't make them as large as I need. This makes me sad; I truly dislike those big tank water heaters. Ever since our water heater sort of exploded when I was 8 I have been fearful of them. So a 50 gallon water tank it is.

However, on the plus side, work is really moving along. All the room needs now is a floor, 4 walls, a door and a ceiling.


Of course, it also needs the sink, toilet and shower installed too. Did I mention the toilet has a self closing lid? I am over the moon excited about that! Small things amuse small minds I suppose.

I'm doing battle with colour swatches for paint choices. According to the barrier free guidelines, the walls must have contrasting colours applied, and the baseboards are to be another colour altogether. I must admit the colour scheme of pink and green keeps popping up. I shall do my very best to resist though. A turquoise and taupe scheme also is appealing to me, and would coordinate beautifully with the flooring. It's just sounds so boring. I just want this room to be perfect!

I have been having a giggle at the plumber's expense and I must share it with you. When I began this project, it was very difficult to get anyone to come in to give us a quote - so hard in fact I sent this letter to the local newspaper:

Work Wanted?

I overhear conversations in my shop frequently about the lack of work up here, and how the economy is so bad and so on. I used to be sympathetic, now I’m starting to think it’s just an excuse to not work. We are currently looking for a contractor to do some work at our store, and have called seven local contractors and left phone messages regarding the job’s requirements. Not one has returned my call. I am a firm believer in supporting the local economy, however, in this case, I have a deadline to meet and can’t wait for the local companies to call back. So I have begun contacting contractors in the Napanee area and after calling two contractors this morning, I already have two appointments set up.
If you are a renovation contractor in the Northbrook area, call me soon.
Nancy Fradenburgh,


After this was published, this particular gentleman called, and came in to take some measurements and get the specs of the job. I gave him my absolute last day deadline for a quote to which he assured me would be no problem. But when that day came, he called to say he needed at least another week. I couldn't grant that to him as my proposal had to go in that same day. He became all huffy and cranky and started yelling at me about wasting his time (wtf! he wasted mine!) and then slammed the phone down ending the conversation. I was a bit shocked to say the least and was somewhat glad I wouldn't be working with him after all. Or so I thought. Yesterday when I arrived here, there he was. So, instead of getting the whole project, he's just getting a couple of days work. How's that for karma?

Comments

Popular Posts