New Afghan

One of the most popular items in the shop is a soft, squishy afghan knit by my friend Dizzy Bat,  made from an assortment of yarns in the "Old Shale Pattern". Due to the afghan's popularity, I had begun packaging up the yarns and pattern and selling them in kit form. As I had no real idea how much yarn was used in the original, I put a kit together and sent it out to my knitter Marilyn. this is the finished kit in cream. It's so beautiful! And soft! Yarns include silk, alpaca, merino and more merino. There is even a yarn with itty bitty sequins in it.


Here's a closeup of the stitch pattern - one of the easiest, yet showiest lace patterns around.



It goes like this:
row 1: knit
row 2: purl
row 3: (k2tog three times, knit 6, knit 2 together 3 times) repeat to end of row.
row 4: knit


If you noticed, there is really only 1 pattern row, and it's row 3. The rest are basic knitting and purling rows. You can go a little crazy and change it up by adding in a row of knit and a row of purl in between rows 2 and 3. And you can refine it a little more by changing row 3 to read (SSK 3 times, knit 6, k2tog 3 times). Doing that makes the curves even curvier.

I love the different textures and thicknesses of the 6 yarns and how they all play on each other. Being a tassel lover (makes me wonder if I was a stripper in a former life) I have 10 more tassels to make and attach, and all will be done. I just couldn't wait to show you.

This kit is available in cream, autumn tones, reds, blues and greens.  I think I need to do some dyeing and put together a pink kit. You all know how much I love pink!

Comments

Sharon said…
I think the afghan is gorgeous.....what a great combination. Please let me know how much it is and is it on the website?
Thanks
Sharon

Popular Posts