Crazy Cat Lady

That's me! If I could manage to home and care for a gazillion cats, I would. I feel I have the two most wonderfully awesome felines on the face of this earth living with me. (Apologies to Purrl and Pork Chop - you both are awesome too.)

This morning, I was sorting through some of my mom's belongings I took from her room. To say my mom was a bit eccentric would be an understatement. She surely marched to her own drummer. One of the items that I brought home and now own is a wire pet brush. My mom lived in a nursing home, so what was she doing with a wire pet brush, you ask? She liked to use them for brushing her hair. Now, mom had very thick hair and lots of it, and wire hair brushes worked well for her. You can see in this photo of Mom with Olivia and Liam just how thick her hair was.
 My brothers and I were so embarrassed by some of her peculiarities, and the use of  pet brushes were close to the top of the list. It didn't matter how many human wire brushes I bought her, she wanted pet brushes. And, she told everyone and anyone just how wonderful wire pet brushes were for their hair.You should have seem some of the looks we got!

Last September, on what was her last shopping outing, Mom and I went to the Pickering Town Centre and she purchased two of these brushes in Dollarama. Yup, only the best for mom.We had a wonderful time that day. There was a farmers market in the parking lot that we walked through, a nice lunch at her favourite eatery (Tim Horton's) and she reveled in just being out. You see, she'd been in hospitals and nursing homes since she broke her leg on February 12th, and she was truly suffering from cabin fever.

Back to the brush. I had to take it as it was a reminder of the lovely day I spent with her. It's a strange souvenir that one would not put on display, but I still had to have it. As I pulled it out of the bag I brought it home in, I smiled and put it down beside me on the couch. Ella, the wonder kitty, saw me do this and immediately started to meow. Incessantly. Loudly. She wanted to be brushed! NOW! Both Ella and Stinky love being brushed. Ella was first in line, but Stinky kept butting in. Two wriggly cats and one brush is not a good thing.  I tried to explain to them  I only had one brush, and they had to share. This worked as well as when you tell two 3 year old children they have to share a new toy (or two teenagers they have to share the tv remote!) It just doesn't work!

I don't know if you have ever brushed a cat. Especially one who loves to be brushed. It's like trying to brush a moving target. (Gratuitous photos of Ella Bella Cinderella follow)
They walk back and forth just out of your reach.
They roll over and need their bellies brushed, then they get up and move just out of your reach again.
And they purr, and make the happy blinky eyes, and worship you for your efforts.
Brushing kitties is hard work and I wanted a cup of tea, so I left the brush on the  floor, and came back to Ella declaring the darned brush was defective. It was just lying on the floor and not moving at all!
 
I brushed them both for a little while longer, then decided I had had enough brushing for the day, and needed to get back to packing for my visit to Geoff's to watch the Super Bowl. I tossed the brush up on the couch. I haven't figured out a suitable place for the kitties' toys, so the couch seemed like a good place while I locate a box or basket for them. Plus it will always be handy for brushing duty, won't it?

In  any case, it appears Stinky is concerned about the safety of the brush, and is guarding it with her life.
I suppose I need to put an attractive storage basket for pet supplies on my shopping list this week I can't have my little babies worried, can I?

Comments

Popular Posts